Aug 24, 2007

Top 10- Interesting facts about Malaysia

Hey peeps,

Today I'm back with my usual rambling. Hopefully it's something not-so- bs-ing. You know when you put me and blogging together, the world will come to an end, probably because of the following:

1) I crap a lot.
2) I'm pretty much boring. (I'm not Kenny Sia, but I think I'm better than X... :p)
3) Well.. I crap a lot. I'm a crap engine.


Yes, this is the "retarded" me. Pic courtesy of www.crapengine.com/

Okay.. back to not-so-crappy, the no-nonsense side of me. :p
Today's topic is about: The TOP 10 Interesting facts about Malaysia.
In conjunction of our golden jubilee, celebrating Malaysia 50th anniversary. So, i thought, why not?

1) The Malaysian flag was adopted on Sept 16,1963. The flag was designed by Mohamed Hamzah, a 29-year old Public Works Department architect in Johor Baru who entered a design competition with two designs.



I thought this would be an interesting fact. After all, it is our Jalur Gemilang.

2) LOCAL time has been adjusted on several occasions. On Dec 31, 1932, clocks were adanced by 20 minutes to "lengthen" daylight; Sept 1, 1941, sped up another 10 minutes; 1942, fast forwarded two hours to follow Tokyo time; 1945, reverted to the time observed in 1941, and on Jan 1, 1982, pushed forward 30 minutes so that Sabah, Sarawak and the peninsula followed Malaysian Standard Time.

That's something I didn't know. I don't know about you? :p

3) The word ringgit means "jagged" in Malay, and originally referred to the separated edges of Spanish silver dollars widely circulated in the region.

Hmm.. Wadya know? Spanish... hahaha...

4) SEVENTEEN-YEAR-OLD Kok Shoo Yin became the first Malaysian citizenship certificate holder when he received the document on Nov 14, 1957.

Bet cha din know?

5) The Pomelo is the World's largest citrus fruit. It can be found in Perak.

I'm a bit of bias. :p As much as I don't think what is so great about pomelos, my dad LOVES it so much. It's a good fruit though. Get the best from Tambun, Ipoh.

6) The biggest pencil ever made is 20m high and it is located in Malaysia. The pencil is part of the Faber-Castell Malaysia production site.

LOL. Hmm...

7) Malaysia is the only country in the world that has a great diversity of people.

I can't help but be proud that we are the only nation in the world that live in a diversified society, speaking in a few languages, and able to stand each other. That's really something!

8)
Shoes must always be removed when entering a Malaysian home

At first I thought it was practiced everywhere, until my ex Indon housemate walked in the house without taking her shoes off. Apparently those with high status don't take off their shoes. Maids actually clean after them.


9) Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than the entire Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.


Number 23. Remember worshiping the Num. 23? *shakes head* Now I know why he is so bloody rich. :p


10) Do you know that people still think we live on trees? Yes, in fact some ignorant foreigners think we do. When we explain :
Malaysia is in South East Asia. It is just north of Singapore and south of Thailand. They will ask, there's a country in between?

Speaking about ignorance, eh? Don't look down on ourselves, in fact our Geographic knowledge are better than half of the population in New York. Seriously.




I tried my best to avoid controversial issues such as racism etc., so yup, this is my list. You know, I might get charged under the sedition act or something. I'm not being coward, but well, sometimes, some things are loud and you don't need to write about em, I believe a reminder is good, but there's a limit, and something we call as over-doing.

Here, also I would like to applaud Namewee for his "brave" attempt to tell how he really feel inside. There's no point of being sensitive really because he's just saying something what a lot of people have been talking about. It's just another issue where we keep it under covers. Instead of breaking another record of the THE BIGGEST JALUR GEMILANG, it's good to talk about this issue. This is no anti-merdeka issue, why want to hide? It's really the time to really talk about it, don't ya think? 50 years of independence? From the British/Japanese? I think, instead we should choose to be free from the bondages we're facing. Ready to face the challenge, citizens of Malaysia?

Cheerios,

Happy 50th Independence Day, Malaysia.




0 spoken:

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist A' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP