Aug 18, 2009

Are you a Giver or a Taker?



I have a fair share of people who I came across and have told me that I'm going the wrong direction. A doubt? Or just maybe it's the experience that they have gone through. I happened to have one of those conversation today.

A few years back when I was making a decision to go to college (deciding what to do in life), my dad hooked me up with a college principle who offered to be a career or study counselor. There was no preparation at all; I wasn't going for a job interview, I was going for a "life" interview and at that time from knowing what I wanted to do, I didn't know what to do (if that made any sense).

Long story short, I didn't do very well. He told me straight (not in exact words but you get the drift), "You don't have a plan, you don't know what to do in life, based on our interview, you have no dreams". Friends who are reading this would shake their head in disbelief. This friend that they have known through school, through college cannot possibly be the same person who went for the interview, because I've always "knew" what I wanted.

Obviously, I was boiling inside like a volcano which is about to erupt; probably it's the ego, but today, I thank him (in a way) for what I have become today, for the choices I made to stand where I am today. I didn't prove him wrong, I just proved myself that I am capable of growing and live to my fullest potential throughout my college years.

Today, on the verge of my two weeks notice, I had a long talk with my boss. After a series of "Kiyosaki-Trump-Napolean Hill-Ziglar" years of experience cramped into one, I was again challenged once more that I'm heading the wrong way.

As much as I could wish to say I'm right and he's wrong would be unfair as he has experienced and seen more of the real world. Although I'm not saying anyone that has seen more of the world would be right all the way.

Remember taking tests that is so easy for fifth graders and seems so complicated for us?

As a freshie, you won't be able to win a lot of debates against experienced been there-done that seniors. We may be a 5th grader, but we may know the simple answer to complicated questions if compared to someone who's trying to solve an minor problem with a complicated answer.

Out of the 60 minutes talk, I would like to extract one statement which probably my guide when I leave my comfortable chair and cubicle in less than two weeks time. This question or statement would be one of the reason why he is in his position today.

The question would be, "Are you a giver or a taker?".

Most people think in terms of "What do I get from giving?", consider this instead, "What can I offer?" This applies to everything in life- work, relationships, spiritual. Something for you to ponder on. I already have my answer to that, and I will continuously use that for my decision making in life. So should you.

blog comments powered by Disqus

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist A' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP