Jan 12, 2009

Second-look: Titanic is about making each day count



I must admit that the many (many) times I've watched Titanic and the million times listening to "My Heart Will Go On", and every time without failure, I could feel the eyes rolling back of my head and I don't deny the fact that it was extremely cheesy (the parodies tsk tsk, and movies can sometimes be overplayed too).

Last night, it was on the tele, and you know the saying, absence makes the heart grows fonder, it has been 9 years since I've watched it, so I figured watching it(again) wouldn't hurt. It didn't change, and what changed was me, 9 years ago and now, and how I look at it. First of all, it wasn't as cheesy. Second of all, the message behind it, and the emotions the characters portrayed, especially Kate Winslet. Congrats to her on winning the Golden Globe for Best Actress/Best Supporting Actress. I look forward to watch her in Revolutionary Road.

Nevermind the fact that "Jack" was mentioned 80 times by Kate, and "Rose" was mentioned about 50 times by Leo (People actually took time to count them) Their acting were brilliant; so compatible, I can never imagine Matthew Mcconaughey playing Jack (how awful it would've been). Mind you it was 1997, and actresses like Kate Winslet could get away looking un-emiciated and looked absolutely real, and not the Hollywood we have now. If Sienna Miller was casted instead, I don't know what to say.

Enough with criticizing or complaining.

I've always been enthralled by sinking ships-themed movie. Not that I'm morbid or anything, I have a little confession that I have a fear of drowning, which is ironic because I love water sports. I started swimming when I was 6 and have absolutely no traumatic experience with water before. But the idea of having water filling your lungs with no room to breathe just, well, scares me to death. It's always the thinking and not the real experience that kills you. There are so many cases of which prisoners who were sentenced to death are tricked to believe that they are jab with a poisonous needle, when in real they're not, but they die anyway.

Watching Titanic and Poseidon made me emotional. The last moment on earth, how people react to it, how you can reflect your whole life in that few hours before you know you're going to die. Your loved ones, and struggle to stay alive no matter what the intentions were. Should I save someone trapped inside or save myself and spending the rest of your life, living in guilt. There's nothing worst than that, in my opinion.

You talk about possibilities of exploring the world, big dreams, this and that, and then, poof, you're about to die; will you continue try to be thankful for your life so far, or wonder why should it be you?

I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count. -Jack Dawson-


Make each day count. Well said. Indeed, make each day count. I think if we live for tomorrow, then how about today? If we don't make it till tomorrow, do you blame God for not giving you time? People come, people go. Emotions come, emotion go. So, make each day count. I guess by being thankful is a good way to start.

Sometimes in the oddest timing, you just pause to think. Life is about making choices. If you make money for today for tomorrow, you might lose the time to enjoy it. Your loved ones, your health to name a few. It's about living for the day, planning for tomorrow, if it doesn't come, then at least you made today count.

On a lighter note, Ioan Gruffudd and Kathy Bates are the few actors who shone like the "Heart of Ocean" necklace last minute in the movie, whose acting were fantastic (no pun intended) indeed.

My fav 5 scenes in the movie:

1) As Jack held Rose up on the rails- he was holding her hand, and they were playing with each others' fingers. (I have a weird fetish for fingers, sorry!)
2) The spitting scene.
3) The jaw-dropping look on Jack's face when Rose was naked in front of him.
4) The axe scene. So much for practice, and Jack's hands were still in tact! Woohoo!
5) Jack's dialogue as above. Make each day count. Spoken like a true artiste!

What's yours?

BBC News-Flash: Polite Britons died on Titanic
Okay, it's a little insensitive, but it doesn't pay to be polite, sometimes.

blog comments powered by Disqus

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist A' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP